November 11, 2010

fall back to sleep, please

I used to be a huge fan of the end of Daylight Savings time.

That extra hour of sleep was heaven.

"Falling back" was always met with open arms from me ... I practically looked forward to it like it was a holiday!

When Malcolm was born, other mothers would comment on how "babies don't care" about the end Daylight Savings. They would refer to schedules being disrupted, crazy sleep and wake patterns, and many other horrible things ... But I knew that I had nothing to worry about.

My baby loved sleep as much as I did.

My baby would relish in that extra hour of sweet, blissful sleep.

My baby would be agreeable, as always.

And, as I had predicted, Malcolm was a champ.

Absolutely nothing changed.

I was right.

It was no surprise. My baby kept right on sleeping ...

Unfortunately, things are not the same now that "my baby" has magically turned into a one-year-old.

Baby no more, Malcolm is still waking up at the same time he usually would ... As determined by the position of the sun in the sky (and definitely not the numbers on the clock).

While it's probably good for me to be up at 7:00 am (I know it could be much, much worse) to get a jump start on my work-from-home day, my body is just not used to it. I have been so spoiled by my excellent sleeper that these early mornings are making me wonder how I even crawled out of the bed for mid-night feedings.

Obviously, the days will roll by and we will develop some new routine.

Hopefully it won't be sabotaged by the beginning of Daylight Savings come spring time ... But I guess we'll have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment