November 3, 2010

unopened

My husband has been a little under the weather lately, so, this morning when I woke up, there was a pile of boxes from our medicine cabinet tossed haphazardly on the bathroom counter. As I brushed my teeth, I glanced over at them, reading about the contents of the various brightly colored boxes ...

Cold and sinus caplets.

Sinus and headache geltabs.

Extreme congestion nasal spray.

And, for good measure, infant gas relief drops.

Unopened.

Never touched.

I remember the drama that led up to the purchase of those infant drops ...

One night, while we had some visitors (I won't say who, although those that know me and my family/extended family can probably guess who was over), Malcolm was a little bit fussy.

A teeny, tiny bit fussy.

Barely even noticeable, really.

Since the kid hardly ever cried, let alone fussed, it didn't bother me too much when it inevitably happened ... Sometimes we all just need a moment to be cranky!

Unfortunately, it seemed to signal the end of the world to our visitors:

"He's gassy ... I just felt a little toot!"

"He's bloated!"

"His belly feels so full!"

"Is he having trouble burping?!"

"You really need to get some infant gas drops ... I can't believe you don't have any infant gas drops!"

"He's just fine!" I wanted to shout. "If you 'felt a little toot,' doesn't that mean he is able to relieve whatever gas he may have? And maybe his belly feels full because he just ate!"

Of course, as new mothers tend to do, I just sat there and took the onslaught instead. It would end soon enough, just like Malcolm's bout of fussiness. Even so, my husband felt the need to go and purchase a container of infant gas relief the next time he headed out to the drug store, just in case we might need it down the line.

Well, wouldn't you know?

It turns out we didn't, since they are taking up space in our medicine cabinet ...

Unopened!

I guess that means I was right after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment