February 23, 2011

under the weather

After a busy weekend, the cold that seemed to be going away has caught back up with me and my family ... And, unfortunately, Malcolm seems to have gotten the worst of it.

He's been feverish and irritable for the past two days.

His nose is runny.

His cough is hacking.

He doesn't know what he wants and is generally unhappy.

He's much more accepting of "nap time," sleeping away most of the day.

He hasn't (been) changed out of his footie pajamas.

As his mother, I've been pretty lucky up until now ... Malcolm has always been the picture of health. Sure, his nose has run and he's been grumpy for the afternoon after receiving vaccinations, but he has never had a long-term bug that affected his mood for more than a couple of days. When I think about it, we're almost a year-and-a-half in, and there have been no major sicknesses to speak of ...

Nothing that a little snuggling couldn't fix.

Nothing to complain or think twice about.

This time, it's different.

My little man is legitimately "under the weather" and I'm having a hard time dealing with it.

It is so difficult watching your child cough and cry, knowing that there is little you can do for him ... Despite the baby Tylenol to keep his fever in check, the vaporizer at night to help break up some of the congestion, and the sippy cup full of water to keep him from getting dehydrated, I'm left feeling mostly inadequate.

I can't begin to fathom the feelings I'd endure if I had to hold vigil in the hospital by his bedside, or watch him undergo treatment for some sort of chronic illness ...

I've always felt an intense love for my little boy, but the "Mother Bear" instincts are really kicking in right about now. Malcolm is merely feverish with a nasty cough, but, to me, it seems like so much more.

I'd seriously do anything to make him feel better.

I'd trade places in a second.

But that's not the reality of the situation so I'll just keep plugging away. I'll keep him as happy and comfortable as I possibly can ...

And hope he doesn't pass on his sickness to his father!

No comments:

Post a Comment