June 22, 2012

unfair


After a full (and tiring) day, with both kids down for the count by 8:30, I plopped down on the couch and looked over at my husband.

"It's unfair how amazing our kids are," I said.

And it really is.

I totally mean it.

After a full week of playing in and out of the house, and taking some trips to various local destinations (like nature centers, museums, and outdoor pools), I saw it with such clarity ...

I am so lucky.

My kids are amazing.

Malcolm, at two-and-a-half, is always ready to explore and get into something new.  He is full of energy, sometimes literally bouncing off the walls, yet he can dial it back and quietly focus on reading a book or playing with his cars.  He is talking up a storm (music to my ears!) and is quite the little comedian without even trying.  Sure, he can throw tantrums and shout "no!" with the best of them,  but, overall, he is extremely agreeable and eager to please.  To steal a phrase from my mother, he is "the perfect first child."

And Pearl.

My little portable Pearl is a ball of sunshine and smiles.  She's not as clingy as her first six weeks would suggest, but she does like a good snuggle.  She's a great sleeper (even Malcolm's incessant ruckus doesn't disturb her during the day), and is so patient ...  Although she prefers to eat every two hours like clockwork, she is flexible when she needs to be (already, she understands how to "take one for the team").  She's got a determined little personality, and, sometimes when she's kicking around on the floor, she looks like she's trying figure out how the rest of us are walking ...  I have a feeling that she is going to be trouble one day in the not-too-distant future!

As I sit here and think back on our fun-filled week, I find it hard to believe that things were ever any different ...  That Pearl is still somewhat "new" to us, and that she wasn't even here only four months ago.

It's funny how my family can change and grow, yet still feel so completely comfortable.

My kids are amazing ...

And if this past week is any indication, the rest of our summer is going to be amazing, too!

It really is unfair.

If only everyone could be so lucky.

1 comment: