November 14, 2012

it's potty time

Although we seem to be in the thick of it, there hasn't been much talk of toilet training around these parts for two main reasons ...

One, that sort of thing doesn't make for the most interesting blog topic (especially if you don't have children at the same stage of development).

And, two, if I'm being completely honest, I'm not really pushing the issue.

As much as I would love to have only one child in diapers, I am of the mindset that the whole process will progress so much more smoothly when Malcolm is ready (really and truly ready) to train ...

Right now, although he pees on his little potty like a pro before nap time and bed time, or before we leave the house (and poops when he wants new toys), I have a little boy who is full of excuses ...

"Not right now."

"Maybe next time, Mom."

"Me just don't like it!"

He has never initiated a trip to the bathroom ...

He is more than happy to just lay around in his wet (and/or dirty) training pants until I make a move to change them ...

Maybe I'm being too relaxed about the whole thing, which is causing my kid to be lazy and complacent.

Maybe I should have been more proactive and started putting him on his little potty from the moment he turned two years old.

I suppose I could hold some sort of "bathroom boot camp" and force him to sit on the toilet every 30-45 minutes (as some family members have insisted) ...  But (again, if I'm being honest), I just don't see the point.

I feel like that sort of technique trains me, not him.

When he's ready, he'll do it.

According to WebMD, the average boy is toilet trained at 38 months of age

Malcolm is right there ...

He took his good old time with the whole talking thing (I have to continually remind myself that my little chatterbox didn't really start talking until about eight months ago!), so who is to say this little adventure won't be more of the same?

As long as I can send him off to pre-school in normal underpants (a little less than a year from now), I think we're on the right track!

No comments:

Post a Comment