March 10, 2011

tick tick tick

I had my yearly appointment with my OB/GYN last week.

It's been more than a year since I have been to her office ... The last visit was actually in November of 2009 when I was told that my body was "back to normal" after giving birth.

On one hand, it really doesn't feel that long ago, but on the other I can't believe how much time has gone by ... I mean, the last time I was there, Malcolm was only six weeks old. He was squishy and squirmy and slept through the whole thing in his car seat. It was hard to carry both him (in the seat) and his diaper bag ... I was still figuring out how to juggle a baby and all his stuff.

Things are different now.

This appointment, my hands were empty.

Tick, tick, tick.

That sleepy six week old, is less a baby and more a boy.

Tick, tick, tick.

He is becoming more self-sufficient (and self-aware) with each passing day.

Tick, tick, tick.

He wants to do things his way, on his time.

Tick, tick, tick.

I wonder what kind of big brother he'll be?

I'm not sure if it was all the pregnant women in the waiting room, or just the memories of days gone by hitting me like a ton of bricks ... But something about being there felt good. Comfortable. Right.

Tick, tick, tick.

What's that sound?

I wonder if I'm the only one that hears it.

No comments:

Post a Comment