May 13, 2011

mother (in-law?) knows best

It's no secret that I have been anxiously awaiting the moment Malcolm decides to say his first word.

From the time he was one year old, I was giddy with anticipation.

Would he say "Mama?"

Maybe "Dada?"

Something else entirely?

It really didn't matter as long as it was a real word.

And I truly believe that is the case. That Malcolm has to choose to do it.

I strongly believe that he has all the tools necessary ... He can hear properly, his mouth and palate are formed correctly, he has plenty of verbal stimulation by way of conversations and books being read ... I don't think there is any reason for concern regarding this small delay.

My son is strong-willed ... Just like his mother.

He will talk when he finally feels like doing so.

Unfortunately, my mother-in-law sees the same things I do and finds reason for concern ... But, I should add, that is her way. She is a worrier. Anxious. Apt to blow simple things out of proportion. An over-reactor. To her, Malcolm's speech delay is a sign of problems. Something that should be looked into sooner rather than later ...

But I (respectfully) disagree.

While I certainly want what's best for my son (as I know she does, too), I don't see the rush in taking him for a hearing test right now. His doctor and I have been monitoring his language development since he was born and he will be tested if adequate progress is not made by the time he goes back for his two-year appointment (in only four months). In my mind, there is no reason to spend the time or money on a diagnostic test that will, most likely, come back normal anyway.

It doesn't help that my husband is right on board with his mom.

"What's the big deal?" He wonders. "There's no harm in having him tested early."

Which is true, too.

And he is the father, afterall ... So his opinion (no matter how strongly I may disagree) matters.

This is one of those times where I wish more people read (and commented) on this blog! I could definitely use some differing opinions on the issue ... And personal experiences to either back up my mother-in-law (and husband) or myself!

My gut tells me that my child is perfectly normal and that it's not a big deal to take a "wait and see" approach until he turns two ...

So far, my gut has been pretty good at this whole "mothering" thing ...

No comments:

Post a Comment