September 7, 2011

happy birthday to me

There's nothing quite like waking up on your birthday to a toddler (and his crib) covered in bright pink, watermelon-infused vomit.

Definitely unexpected.

Disgusting.

A bit of a hassle.

But it could have been worse.

In my case, Malcolm was his usual self, happy and ready-to-go as always. He didn't seem to notice the patches of chunky nastiness everywhere ... Or the interesting "slicked back" hair 'do he was sporting from a night spent sleeping in it.

He just wanted to start his day and get on with the routine ... Vomit notwithstanding.

So, wrapped up in the disbelief that "this is really my life" (Who honestly expects to be cleaning up vomit first thing on their birthday?), was a huge amount of gratitude that "yes, this is really my life!"

I am so incredibly lucky to have my vomiting toddler.

So incredibly lucky to have the ability to wake up to his little voice on the baby monitor every morning, to get him ready for the day, and to stay home with him while I work for the virtual school at the same time.

While this combination isn't always easy (and the husband has heard his fair share of complaining), I am still thankful that I am able to juggle it all.

That I'm even getting the opportunity.

So, while my birthday didn't start out the way I would have chosen (No vomit next year, please!), it turned out to be wonderful just the same.

This really is my life ... And that's the greatest present of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment