May 6, 2013

busy days and a diaper giraffe

When Friday evening rolls around, I breathe a sigh of relief that the work week is over and I will actually have some time to relax over the weekend ... 
 
Unfortunately, although they seem rather unassuming as they approach, that hasn't been the case for a couple of weekends now!

This weekend, part of the "busy-ness" included a baby shower for one of my childhood friends.

And what is a baby shower without a diaper animal?


Since the "theme" of her shower was giraffes, I set out to make one as part of her gift. 

Using the following tutorial as a basic guide (and with the addition of some pipe cleaners within the legs to hold them together, some wooden popsicle sticks to support the neck, and different embellishments), I ended up with something pretty cute.



And while it wasn't as relaxing as I had hoped, it turned out to be a nice weekend afterall!

4 comments:

  1. This is adorable! I'd love to make this for a friend's baby shower but I can't quite figure out the eHow directions for the head and ears. Would you be able to explain how you put those together? What are your ears made of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been on here in a while and I'm not sure if this is even a useful reply anymore ... But the head was a rolled up diaper, folded in half and reinforced by a pair of thick baby socks. The first sock was pulled up all the way (as far as it would go) and extended down the neck slightly, and the second was folded over to create the nose. The ears were another pair of (much smaller) baby socks that were tucked into the folded sock on the head (the rounded ear is the toe of the sock). I hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Your giraffe is cute!! Live the colors! How did you connect the neck to the body?! I'm stuck. The head is heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your giraffe is cute!! Live the colors! How did you connect the neck to the body?! I'm stuck. The head is heavy.

    ReplyDelete