December 10, 2010

getting ready for christmas

With the holiday season approaching, I find myself looking for ways to "get ready."

This doesn't just include the physical sense of readiness ... As in a cleaned and decorated house, wrapped presents, sent Christmas cards, or baked goods and the like. For me, at least this year, it also means a spiritual sense of "readiness."

I have said it many times before that I am truly blessed.

I have a wonderful, supportive husband, an adorable little boy, a family that loves me endlessly, indescribably awesome friends, a healthy body and mind, a warm home, and a good job (during which I can stay at home with the aforementioned adorable little boy). Truly, I don't think that things could get much better ... And I don't know what I did to deserve it!

So, this Christmas, I really wanted to get in the mood spiritually. To truly envelope myself in the feeling of the season, and what it really means to be Christmas.

No, it doesn't mean presents or gift giving.

Or delicious food.

Not even time for family and friends and fellowship.

Rather, Christmas means the coming of Christ into the world and into our hearts.

I have friends who are preparing for this most joyful of occasions by selflessly offering up their gifts for an even greater cause.

I read blogs where giving to those who are less fortunate is at the forefront of the season.

All around me, I see people becoming "ready" for this holiday by giving back in true Christmas fashion ... So, this year, I wanted to participate.

In my own attempt to "give back," I decided to donate my hair to Locks of Love this year.

It's something that I've always wanted to do, but never got around to really pursuing ... And, for once, I knew I could make it happen. My hair was getting long. Probably a little too long. It was time to just make the change and get it cut.

Short.

I honestly can't remember the last time my hair was this short.

If I had to guess an age, I'd have to say that I was around four years old ... And that was only because my hair was finally growing out (I looked like a boy until I was about three).

Ten inches is a lot.

It's both an adjustment and a big deal for me ... I'm totally outside of my comfort zone! But I know that it will be an even bigger deal to the little girl that gets "hair" this Christmas.

And that's what makes the whole experience worthwhile.

Even if it is completely crazy to reach back and feel my bare neck instead of a pony tail ...

1 comment:

  1. Emily, your heart is so beautiful. What an amazing gift you are giving with Locks of Love - and a sacrificial one, at that! I know that God is so blessed by your sacrifice and your giving heart!!! And what a blessing for the special child who will receive it!
    Thanks so much for sharing about our water campaign. God bless and Merry Christmas to you and your sweet family! =)

    ReplyDelete