July 21, 2011

adorably dorky

WARNING: This post contains multiple levels of dorkiness!

I have been waiting (Seriously ... Waiting and waiting!!) for the day I'd be able to compose a post about the shirt in the following outfit. From the second I opened up the gift bag at Christmas and saw it inside, I knew that I'd be blogging about it.

It had to be showcased.

It deserved to be proudly displayed across the internet!


Let me set this up by saying I've never been one of the "cool kids."

One of the "popular" crowd.

For as long as I can remember, I have always been a little bit awkward, off beat, unfashionable, and too smart (and often full of useless knowledge) for my own good ...

That's why it is so easy for me, especially today as an adult, to label myself as a "nerd."

There is no shame in it. I embrace the title.

I'm proud of who I am.

In my mind, being a bit nerdy shows that I care more about intelligence and inner strengths than outward appearance. More about being unique and true to myself (and my own likes and dislikes) than to what others believe to be "the flavor of the month."

It shows that I don't need the best or newest merchandise to find happiness ... The fact that I was able to thrift name brand, practically unused (and unblemished!) shoes excites me more than if I bought the exact same thing at the regular store!


Being a "nerd" is inherent to who I am.

It is part of my identity and, in many ways, I hope that it becomes part of Malcolm's too.

I want him to see that it's okay to be yourself ... To like what you like, and dislike what you don't, and to make no excuses for being uniquely you.

From what I can tell, he's already got the "brainy" end of things down ...

He loves catching Sesame Street every morning and settling in for a good book every now and then ...



Tee shirt: Now & Zen (gift)
Shorts: Circo (thrifted for $1.00)
Canvas shoes: Baby Gap (thrifted for $2.00)

And he looks darn cute with his silk-screened pocket protector, thick-rimmed glasses, and suspenders ...

No comments:

Post a Comment