July 22, 2011

tough as iron, sweet as candy

Tomorrow, I will be celebrating my six year wedding anniversary!

And, in total harmony with the traditional gifts for this milestone (as listed in the title of this post), I am so truly lucky to be married to the toughest, yet sweetest guy I have ever had the pleasure of knowing!

Instead of sounding like a broken record (as is probably the case whenever I talk about my husband and/or our marriage), I wanted to do something a tiny bit different with this post ... So I dug through my (our) extensive stash of relationship memorabilia and found the card I wrote on our wedding day.

Almost exactly six years ago.

Have a peek ...

This is only a small part of it:
My Dearest,

I am so honored that you chose to spend your life with me. I know that I can make you happy and I will do my very best to spend each day doing so. I feel in a way like no other when we are together ... I feel special, and loved, and so many other things.

Many people have asked me if I am nervous about this wedding. I am so proud that I can honestly tell them "no." I have never been more sure that marrying you is so perfect and right. I can't wait for our first kiss, our first introduction as "Mr. and Mrs.," our first dance, and our many other firsts! I know that as long as I have you as my husband I will be content and all will be right in my little world. You are the greatest gift God has given to me and I am thankful every day for my good fortune.

My world would not be the same without you.


I will end this now. I'm sure that my long-windedness is hard to take on a day like today. If you get anything from this, just know that I love you and I always will. Who knows? Maybe one day our kids will look at this and think how corny their Mom and Dad are ... But I wouldn't have it any other way!

I love you! Now I really can't wait to be your bride!

Love Always,

Emily
Many of the sentiments (if you ignore all the statements about "firsts") still ring incredibly true today, all these years later. In fact, they sound eerily like something that might show up in our sixth anniversary card.

Just as I was back then, I am still so sure about us as a couple.

While some things are still the same as they were six years ago ... And some things are so very different, we are still standing strong. Through it all our friendship remains our solid foundation and our love only continues to grow and deepen and (dare I say) mature with each day that passes. I am so content and blessed by, not only my husband, but by the little family that we have begun building together.

I couldn't imagine my life any different than it is today ... And, to think, each moment (good and bad) that we have spent along those six years has brought us to this exact place!

I can't wait to see what the next six will bring ...

No comments:

Post a Comment