August 13, 2010

points of interest

Malcolm's been giving me the finger a lot lately.

The pointer finger, that is.

No matter where we are or what we are doing, my little guy has begun to make it known that he notices the world around him ... And what a big world it is!

Gone are the days when a single cry was all I had to go on:

Want some more Gerber puffs with lunch?

Point at the container.

Intrigued by the box fan in the window?

Reach out for it.

Feel like playing with (Mom and) a particular toy?

Hold it up and wave it around.

Want a closer look at something in the house (like a lamp, a photograph, or even the cat)?

Point, point, point!

While it will probably become annoying in the not-too-distant future (I'm imagining all of the "whys" I'm going to get once he is able to speak), right now Malcolm's new skill is quite a thrill. This tiny person, who merely one year ago wasn't even born yet, is already capable of so much. I know I've commented on it before, but it is shocking how much a baby grows and changes in such a short amount of time. Not only has he gone from being completely helpless to only slightly so, he has also figured out how to communicate with us without the use of crying!

When he utters that first word it's going to blow my mind ... I just know it.

(Even if it turns out to be "Dada.")

No comments:

Post a Comment