May 14, 2010

sleeping beauties

If you would have asked me what I thought life with an infant would be like, I wouldn't have known what to tell you. I probably would have mentioned some of the old standbys ... Stories about sleepless nights, engorged breasts, projectile vomit (or spit-up), or dirty diapers from hell. Lucky for me, only three of these four were realities for me and my husband.

You see, it turns out we created a kid that likes to sleep almost as much as I do!

When other people (usually mothers) ask me if I'm getting any sleep, I almost feel guilty telling them that YES! I do ... Lots of it! And I have been since Malcolm was about two months old!

Our current schedule is probably the best one, yet ...

  • Wake up at 8:00 am to nurse.
  • Play for a little bit or read a story, then go back to bed by 9:00 am.
  • Wake up at 11:00 am to nurse again.
  • Eat some solids around 12:00 pm, play for a little bit, then take a nap at 1:00 pm.
  • Wake up anytime between 2:00 and 3:00 pm and eat a snack.
  • Play!!
  • Nurse at 4:00 pm.
  • Get sleepy for another nap around 4:30 or 5:00 pm.
  • Wake up around 6:00 pm and eat "dinner" at 6:30 pm.
  • Take final bottle at 7:30 pm, then read a story with Dad.
  • Bed time by 8:00 pm.

Did you see that?

Twelve hours of sleep through the night and then another two in the morning ... And this trend has continued in the face of teething. I thought, for sure, I'd be up with a cranky baby when that time came ... But it hasn't!?

I also thought nap times would be a battle ... But I was wrong again! All I have to do is lay the kid down and he does the rest: He pops his sweet, little thumb in his mouth and he is off to dreamland in moments. Seriously. I don't know how to explain it and I'm left wondering how much longer he's going to keep up this charade.

I am so incredibly spoiled it isn't even funny.

In fact, I'm about 99% sure that the next kid (when that day comes) is going to be an absolute terror that doesn't need sleep! I guess I better continue to take advantage of it now, while I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment